Tuesday, April 24, 2012

The Ugly Truth Behind Handmade


There has been a lot of uproar in the handmade community as of recent about certain companies posing as handmade artists. These include resellers, distributors and the like. They basically claim to handmake their items when in fact some are bought fully assembled and sold while others are akin to sweatshops selling their wares for cheap. While technically these are handmade in some cases by someone this does not constitute handmade. So sometimes the question arises "how do I know this is really handmade?". Well I certainly cannot speak for all artists but today I will give you a peek into my world. While I would love to show you a spotless well organized workshop that is the ugly truth behind handmade. In my world it doesn't exist. It starts out that way but then as soon as creating begins it's like a bomb went off. I carefully clean everything up once I'm done only for it to happen all over again. OK maybe I don't clean everything up every time. Hey I'm not perfect and frequently I'm too tired and sore to do so. The strange thing is I think it is something about an artists mind that their workspace will look like a mine field yet they cannot stop until a piece is perfect. I've been known to do a piece over and over again until it's just right. And sometimes people will think "how do you work like that?" The answer is I don't know because the disorganization drives me INSANE!


Here is my shipping scale and there are a bunch of packing supplies and more work supply under the cabinets.



Some sea glass complete with dirt and sand.




Where the magic happens covered in tools, wire, findings, and such.  Note the extra large bottle of tylenol I have to take daily for pain


And yet more supplies!


I would like to say that's the end of it but yet there is still more, but that's the jist of it.  So many artists minds are cluttered with ideas which also seems to clutter their work space.  In the end I achieve professional results with professional packaging and a smile.  I just need someone to clean up this mess I leave behind! 

14 comments:

  1. I have the same basket you do! How do you manage to keep your stuff so tidy?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well I did tidy a bit. I didn't show the rest of the mess!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for sharing! I would feel right at home at your house, because mine is a lot like yours (but yours is much neater)!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I had to keep it somewhat presentable Kathi. While other artists would totally get it. Would be customers might get a little freaked.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I adore this post!! And believe me when I say your workspace is highly organized compared to mine at the moment, LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Drawers are the best! When I set up my creative space, I made an effort to structure it so that it would work WITH the way I make messes, and that meant lots of drawers! So much of what I do is on the computer, but I still have a whole closet full of art supplies to keep in check! (See http://c-creativity.blogspot.com/2012/04/tour-of-my-headquarters.html if you missed it.) Anyway, I always enjoy seeing the workspaces of others and I'm glad to see that you're not a sweatshop!

    ReplyDelete
  7. If someone cleaned up your mess you might not be able to find anything! Messiness is just a creative mind at work!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Seeing other artists' studios always fascinates me. Thanks for sharing yours!

    ReplyDelete
  9. You have a lovely shop. I think this is just beautiful.

    http://www.etsy.com/listing/97701381/vintage-heart-necklace-and-earrings

    PD

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks PD! I can't take credit for that one. That's a vintage Piddidly Links piece.

      Delete
  10. Thanks for that peek into your workspace. Wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you everyone for the comments. I was so afraid to post this!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks, Bellina. We want to create an album showing people's workspaces on the teametsyhandmade facebook page (mostly inspired by you and this article). Would it be okay if I posted the main photo in this article (with a link) as our first 'behind the scenes picture'? Please let me know. I never post another's photos without direct permission. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Heck yes Lisa! I would love to get more exposure to the blog as well and that is sure to help.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...