Saturday, April 21, 2012

My Beach Cottage

Someday I want to live by the ocean.  Someday being as soon as possible.  I was born in Newport, RI.  You don't realize how lucky you are to grow up in a place like that until you start to travel. It's all you know and then you begin to travel and realize how fortunate you were.  I once remember a very rich man telling me he had traveled the world over many times and Newport remained one of the most beautiful towns he had ever visited.  This morning I saw it listed on one of the prettiest towns in America on MSN.  Sadly I couldn't afford to stay.  While I do love to visit I don't miss the tourists jam packed into a town the size of a sardine tin.  I don't miss the cliquishness or the dis ingenuousness of many of the people I encountered.  I never fit in there.  But the ocean is in my soul.  When I return I walk the beaches daily, alone.  As if my soul is searching for something.  

I would love to live in a seaside town that is less "discovered".  A place that is friendly, and alternative.  Does such a place exist?   I would love to have a cottage by the sea, with my own private beach to gather sea glass.  To be able to sip my morning coffee and look out at the sea.  A small cove would be perfect.  Just enough so that I am protected by storms but enough so I can watch the ocean rage.  One that would drop thousands of beautiful sea glass gems at my feet.  A place where I can watch the sand pipers scuttle back and forth. 

via    
via  
via
via

via
via
via

3 comments:

  1. Beautiful post and wonderful cottage! Someday, friend, someday....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Residing in a house with just a few steps away from the ocean is like listening to Mother Nature’s heartbeat, Bellina: birds chirping every morning, the sound of the waves as they hit the shore, leaves dancing in the wind, etc. - all of these priceless treasures can only be found near the beach. I hope you find the house you've been looking for. By the way, the tourist attractions in Newport, RI that I like the most are the historic homes and mansions in Bellevue Avenue. I saw a castle in Newport back then, but I'm not certain if it's in RI.

    Darius Cartmell

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Darius your post brought tears to my eyes. That is exactly what I miss. Those things that feed and soothe my soul. Someday.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...