Friday, April 20, 2012

Blogger Virus!!

I'm here with a warning. Last night I got to find out what referrer spam is.  I went into my blogger stats. Thinking nothing of it I clicked on the site that had been (supposedly) sending the most traffic to my blog curious to know where my traffic is coming from. It forwarded me to a youtube type site with sex scandal celebrity type stuff. Instantly my heart dropped as I knew this had nothing to do with sending traffic to my site. What it did do was give me a brick virus. What's that? A virus so malicious within 20 seconds it turns your computer into nothing more than a useless brick. 



Your keyboard and mouse no longer respond even in safe mode. Try to load the last good working version? Nada. Entering into the boot menu all repair features are inoperable. Try to turn back the clock to an earlier version? Oh yeah sure. All backups are gone with only one from 2011. Luckily I know enough to not click on it. This has to be some sort've dummy file. I shudder to think what would happen if I tried to install THAT. The computer has been wiped WAY after that so there should be no versions prior to this year. I am so irate! I never EVER click on anything I don't know. I never thought a malicious site would appear in blogger stats and in the one second I made an error and my laptop (thank God it wasn't my desktop) is now rendered useless. My only option is to wipe it completely. Unfortunately I don't have a vista cd and that is what it is licensed for. :x

7 comments:

  1. I don't know how those sites get on blogger stats, but I notice those bogus
    URL's all the time on my stats as well. I never click on them, although I didn't know they were a means to spread a virus...awful.

    Sorry that you had this happen :(. I have a Mac, and really good antivirus software for it, but still, good to know.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sonya that is the very first thing I started muttering about was that I HATE pc's. My friend has Mac everything. He said it's not a pc issue as much as it is a windows issue that makes pc's vulnerable. He said running Linux instead would put an end to that. I think I am going to give that a go.

    ReplyDelete
  3. How awful! I recently started saving my important files, like my photos, online as well as on the external hard drive I don't update often enough just in case something like this happens to me! I hope you didn't lose anything valuable.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank goodness no Colleen. Most of my stuff is on my desktop. I made the same decision as you, to get an external hd.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I wondered about it when I saw that Russia was one of the top countries visiting my blog. I wasn't going to click on the link! Anyone know if the virus can get on your device without clicking on the link? Also, anyone know if iPad 2 is immune, as this is what I use?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just don't click on it. While I cannot say for sure most Mac's are immune simply because it's much easier to write viruses for pc's. I live in a house full of Mac's and not one has ever got a virus. Yet we have lost numerous pc's even with firewalls, anti spam, anti spyware, anti virus. I am now looking for a mac lappy. I am so over the virus issue and I am uber careful. I just got another one the other day by simply visiting craftcount and not even clicking on anything. I have spent about 2 days trying to recover my laptop and it's still not right. My internet now won't stay connected. I don't know if it's possible for a virus to affect a wireless card. Did I mention OVER IT?

      Delete
  6. nice posting.. thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...