Saturday, May 5, 2012

Battling Colds Asthma and Allergies Naturally

It's rare that I come across products that I am truly blown away by.  When I do I always want to share them with the world.  I have terrible allergies.  The desert hates me.  I've had asthma for probably five years now but last year my asthma and allergies became unbearable.  I got super sick for about three weeks last year and still ended up on antibiotics after developing a sinus infection.  I tried every known remedy under the sun.  Neti pots, herbs, steam you name it.  Even the antibiotic didn't work.  So after many hours on the internet I came across Seagate Olive Leaf Nasal Spray.  I was aware of the antiviral and antibacterial properties of Olive Leaf so I gave it a shot.  And it was amazing.  You do get a gross drip action happening down your throat and mucous will start to loosen so just get it out, don't swallow.  I find it best to use in the shower and the added steam aids the action. It works for post nasal drip AND stuffies.  Anytime I feel symptoms coming on I use it and it knocks it out.  And it knocked out that superbug sinus infection.  Just follow the directions in regards to dosing depending on your symptoms.




The second product is Emergence-C. They have all types of flavors and specialty formulas. I prefer super orange. I take 2 a day, sometimes more if I am sick. Each packet contains 1,000mgs vitamin c, 24 nutrients, 7b vitamins, electrolytes, and antioxidants. Great for post workout or if you are doing really strenuous workouts like hiking or biking. They recently changed some of the products to contain Stevia and I say stay away from it. My body does not react well to the stuff and I personally think it's not as good as everyone thinks. My body reacts exactly the same as if it were an artificial sweetener and that is a red flag for me. Plus the stuff is God awful tasting. They recently added it to raspberry and acai and it's putrid. So that being said Super Orange, Tangerine, and Triple Berry are all very tasty. I recently got lax and forgot to take it for a few days and voila I am sick. Hence the reminder to write this post. It's great for those who hate pills and it reminds you to drink more water.




And the last one is a Himalayan salt inhaler. It sounded (ok it still does) absurd. But my asthma had gotten unbelievably bad and I was freaked out. There were days I could barely move around my breathing was so shallow. I had even stopped breathing multiple times each night. I was using my albuterol inhaler twice a day every day and it really wasn't doing much. I refuse to use a steroid inhaler (don't get me started on that). I read tons of reviews and came across only one that said it didn't really work for them but they admitted they didn't use it for long enough. You are supposed to use it for twenty minutes a day while watching tv or something. I have never used it for that long because I get dizzy. I think that is due to the breathing not the inhaler.  If you were to sit still for twenty minutes and breathe in very deeply through your mouth and out through your nose you would be dizzy. I use it for probably ten minutes a day in five minute intervals. It's not to say you will never use your rescue inhaler again. If you need it do use it. But I have drastically cut back on my use. I only started using the salt inhaler a few weeks ago and I am using my rescue inhaler only every few days.

It is registered as medical device with the FDA. It is said that the salt air flushes impurities out of the nasal passages and respiratory system. It is suggested for use in ANY respiratory illnesses such as colds, allergies, asthma, COPD etc. Always consult a doctor first. You do not want to get the salts wet and never refill with regular salt.  The salts last two years and only use Himalyan salts.  Follow the directions and never breathe back into the inhaler. You breathe in through your mouth and out through your nose. I tend to pull my mouth away so I don't forget.




I have tried many natural remedies and for the most part I hate to say they haven't worked great, but these I can stand by.  An easy one for at home use for sore throat is gargling with apple cider vinegar.  Do it about once an hour.  If you don't care for vinegar it's pretty yucky but it works.  You want organic, unfiltered (with the mother).  I like Bragg's.  ACV has TONS of health and beauty uses.  Too many to even name.  Do a search.  It's great stuff.



So these are my miracle products. I am in no way compensated by these companies but I certainly should be for all the people I've recommended these products to (hear that companies? wink, wink, nudge, nudge). I hope if you give them a try they will help you as well.


3 comments:

  1. Thank you thank you thank you for posting this! I take Emergen-C's but I haven't tried the other ones. Hopefully our colds will go away quickly! Also, happy early birthday to you too :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post! The Himalaya salt inhaler looks interesting. I've heard of that before-- I wonder if it will help with my sinuses.

    The one other thing that I find helpful when I come down with a cold is putting my face above a bowl of hot water with a towel over my head. It usually clears up my nose.

    You should try it!

    thanks for the great advice.

    ReplyDelete
  3. CBC I would try the spray for sinuses. Since it is more immediate. I think with my sinus issues they are largely caused by inflammation and allergic reaction. I did actually try steam alone, with salt and with essential oils and didn't work. I wonder now if I would've gotten sick this go round had I not run out of spray and laxed on my emergence-c. For me the absolute worst was the neti pot. I tried this probably 15 different time and ended up in agony. It just did not work for me. You have to get the perfect salt to water ratio, perfect temp or it will hurt like the dickens. My inflammation is so bad it usually wouldn't pour through which would hurt crazy bad and when I could manage to get it to work properly it always left my sinuses more inflamed. It certainly seems like a great idea to wash all that yuckiness out and some people swear by it, but it just didn't work for me.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...