Tuesday, August 30, 2011

This Weeks Interview - UUEndyandFriends

This week's interview is with UUEndyandFriends. She carries play dress up earrings, baby afghans and receiving blankets, bead and crystal jewelry, book markers, and occasionally misceallaneous items.

How did you get started with your craft?

My name is Wendy, I'm 50 something, live in Central California where it is HOT in summer and COLD in winter. Very little in between. I am a widow and I have two grown sons and one granddaughter. One son, 2 cats, & 2 dogs live with me. My animals are all rescued and I love them dearly. I work a full time job M-F as a certified Weighmaster. Due to the economy business has been very slow for the last 3 - 4 years allowing me to do jewelry at my desk. I started out making and selling it to the people coming in and out of the office. Then last year I decided to give my Etsy shop a try and went full out filling it with my creations.

I have been crafting since I was probably 5. My mother is and my grandmother was seamstresses. My sister, my mom, and I all had handmade clothes. Leftover materials dressed our dolls from 18-20" all the way down to tiny trolls. I remember my grandmother teaching me to sew by hand. VERY TINY stitches and they were doll clothes kits. My mother taught me to knit probably around 7 and embroidery around 10. I am self taught in crocheting around 18. I learned counted cross stitch when my first son was born. I learned loom beading in my tweens. Other crafts I've just picked up over the years. I go through stages but rarely get rid of what I haven't used. AND a lot of times when I start a new craft go ALL out buying everything needed or wanted to do said craft. So needless to say I have a lot "left" to do. Believe it or not - with this economy and money tight those have come in very handy. I don't "have" to go buy something to do.

What are your favorite materials to work with?

My favorite materials to work with depend on the craft medium of the moment. My favorite craft medium is whatever I am enjoying at the moment. If I don't like it I won't do it. So, I have to say any medium I am happily doing is the favorite of the moment.

What inspires you?

I am inspired to do some of my items by circumstances or events of others. I have kept a very small percentage of my projects. I enjoy doing them as gifts or helping others.

What do you enjoy doing in your off time?

My off time consists of crafting, reading, camping, spending time with my family, swimming. Most of the time I am crafting while I am doing something else. I am very good at multi tasking and I love to tape my favorite tv shows so I can fast forward through the commercials or rewind when I miss something while I create.


What 3 items in your store are your favorite?

The rope bracelets, the Swarovski bracelets and all the flower earrings. In my shop there is very little that I don't like. If I don't like it - I figure the customer won't either. Something I am overcoming slowly.


 

 


Do you have a favorite buyer experience? A moment when your worked touched another?

I sold some earrings to a woman who has a young daughter bedridden and unable to speak. She said her daughter "lights up" when she gets to wear them. Another mother ordered a pair of earrings and a bracelet that I put a little angel on. Simple, but for her it was to help them heal from the loss of a sister/aunt to cancer. That is where I get the best gratification from my "art". It has made someone else happy to receive it and I was happy making it.
 

Do you have any advice for other Etsy sellers?

My advice to Etsy sellers is to keep your shop up to date, check in regularly, communicate well, and my biggest pet peeve - check your spelling, use your caps and punctuation correctly. IF you KNOW you are lax then ask someone to "help" you. There are plenty of Etsians out there willing to help a fellow Etsian. I think that is important in showing that you CARE about your shop which means you CARE about your customers.

Where can we find you on the web?

I have 2 shops on Etsy:

I have an ArtFire shop:

And I am working on my Zibbet:

3 comments:

  1. I love reading about our teammates....I feel as if I really get to know everyone. Thank you for having these wonderful interviews!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love Wendy and her shops! She's a great Etsy shop owner, and an awesome team mate also!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats on the interview! Love your flower earrings Wendy :D

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...