Sunday, August 14, 2011

This Weeks Interview - Crochetgal

This week's interview is with Crochetgal.  She carries beautiful affordable yarns, hand crafted soap dishes and one of a kind wearable art pieces.

How did you get started with your craft?

Although I learned the art of crochet as a teenager in the 70s, it fell by the wayside as my life adventure took its path.


It resurfaced again at the start of the new millennium with one little Winnie the Pooh for a friend's grandchild as a Christmas gift. Before Winnie could even be delivered to that little one, friends were asking to purchase them from me. Little did I know that it would eventually turn into a small business. Within a few years, I was trying various methods of crochet, along with different pattern designs and before long I was actually designing a few simple pieces.


Currently, I am a crochet professional working in the industry. I love to work with any type of materials. If it can be stranded, it can be crocheted with. Many of my items are of my own design, some of which have been featured in major publications. Most of my wearables are one of a kind pieces. I'm always looking for fresh, new ideas so if there is something that you would like me to make, please get in touch. I enjoy a challenge and as long as I have a picture to go by, I can usually make the item.


My work has been featured at the Scottsdale Center for the Arts and in the Smithsonian.


I can usually be found at many of the various art and craft shows in the area throughout the year.


Member of the Crochet Guild of America (CGOA).


I believe that 'What you sow, so shall ye reap'. I heartily support the local Project Linus group
ProjectLinus.org and believe that every child needs a blanket to call their own. A donation is made to the local Project Linus group each month.

Other local charities are also supported as the need arises. (Please do NOT solicit for your charity.)


More of my work can be found at
www.flickr.com/photos/crochetgal/

If you see something on my Flickr account that is not in my shop, please contact me to discuss.


I do maintain a yarn buying group at

groups.yahoo.com/group/Yarnaholics_Anonymous/
and it is open to anyone who want to purchase selected yarns at discounted prices.

Any of the wooden pieces including the soap decks are a collaboration with my partner who uses the Etsy account UnclJohn. He just loves to work with wood and create some unique pieces.


What are your favorite materials to work with?
 
Anything that can be worked into a strand. Outside of basic yarns, I've worked with string, garden hose, plant fiber, audio and video tape, plastic bags, and a number of other medium. I don't really have a favourite at all!
 
What inspires you?
 
Quite often the inspiration will come from the yarn itself. Sometimes its from nature or even a photograph. I just let my imagination take me on a journey.


What do you enjoy doing in your off time?
 
Most of my time is spent doing some sort of 'creative' thing or another. I love to experiment in the kitchen and have published two cookbooks. I've been active in the collector car hobby for about 30 years as well.


What 3 items are your favorite? 
 
That's a hard one. One of my favourite pieces is this one
because of the way the colours blend in it. This was an 'experimental' piece in that I didn't write a pattern before I made the piece.




Lace Pineapple Shawl


Another of my favourites are my fisherman sweaters.  Although I've written a basic pattern, each one that I make is a one of a kind piece in the way that I manipulate the patterns. 



Fisherman's Sweater


I've always been intrigued by yarns that 'call out to me', and this one is currently calling my name.  
I'm not sure yet what it will be but whatever it turns out to be, it will be beautiful! 




Midnight Wool Blend


Do you have any advice for other Etsy sellers?
  • Read all you can about Etsy before you start your shop.
  • Don't expect that just because you have a shop on Etsy that the world will beat a path to your door. It won't happen.
  • Have a well written business plan and marketing plan and don't be afraid to change them.
  • Make what you LOVE. Your passion will show in your work.
  • Have some fun with your shop!

Where can we find you on the web?
 

I sell primarily on Etsy at crochetgal.etsy.com .

I write "  Confessions of a Yarnaholic"  at
crochetgals.blogspot.com .

I'm on twitter at
twitter.com/crochetgal

For those who are yarnaholics like myself, I maintain a yarn buying group at
groups.yahoo.com/group/Yarnaholics_Anonymous/
and it is open to anyone who want to purchase selected yarns at discounted prices.

4 comments:

  1. Wow! You've done an excellent job. Thanks very much Bellina!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful items crochetgal! I would love to have a scarf in that midnight wool blend yarn!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such beautiful midnight wool yarn! I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You make amazing pieces! Congrats on the feature :D

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...