Sunday, August 21, 2011

This Week's Interview - The Crafty Crafter


This week I am featuring The Crafty Crafter.  She specializes in holiday home decor, masks, and accessories. Be sure to check out her shop!

Tell me a little about yourself:

My name is Sara and I am married and have two dogs and a cat (my kids).  I live just outside of Atlanta, GA and work in customer service/account management. Crafting is not my full time job, but I really enjoy it and would like to be able to dedicate more time to it.



How did you get started with your craft?

I've been doing craft projects on and off since I was a child, but I guess you would say I became serious about crafting a couple of years ago. I decided to make some wreaths for my mom, sister, and niece as gifts and I liked the way they turned out so it gave me the idea to start making wreaths for Christmas. After that time I learned about Etsy and opened a shop with my wreaths, some ornaments, etc. Since opening my shop, I have expanded my offerings by making masks, hair accessories, and offering antiques.

What are your favorite materials to work with?

My favorite materials are feathers (although I'm allergic!), gems, lace, and basically anything that sparkles or makes things pop. I'm a true girly girl at heart!

What inspires you?

I am inspired by just about everything whether it be places I've seen, people, movies, books, etc. 


What do you enjoy doing in your off time?

In my off time I enjoy shopping, antiquing, watching movies, and traveling.

What 3 items are your favorite?


My favorite items I have made are a peacock wreath, black and white lady amherst feather hair clip, and latest custom order mask.

Peacock feathers are so beautiful and I wanted to make a wreath with them that could be displayed all year round.


 


Peacock Feather Wreath








 
I love this lady amherst feather flower clip because it can go with anything. It reminds me of poppy or anemone flowers.
 

Lady Amherst Feather Clip


I love this mask and it is the most complex I have done to date. This was my interpretation of a customer's beautiful sketch they drew for a custom order half mask. The mask was for Canada Day as is represented by the red and white of Canada's flag. 

Red Lace Masquerade Mask

Do you have any advice for other Etsy sellers?


I'm fairly new to Etsy, but my advice to other sellers would be to persevere and have patience. Just remember that everyone experiences a slow time at some point. I also highly recommend networking with other sellers through teams and circles. Who better to get advice or learn from than a fellow Etsian!

Check out Sara's shop at:

6 comments:

  1. Very nice feature article. Love the wreath, it's so pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks RJ! I have had some wonderful Etsy sellers featured.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love you work Sara, especially your Lady Amherst feather clip! Congrats on the feature :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great interview! That is seriously the most amazing wreath I have ever seen.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wonderful creations! Sara makes some truly beautiful things.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...