Monday, August 8, 2011

This Weeks Interview-Laura's Fine Art


This week I am featuring Laura of Laura's Fine Art.  She makes exquisite wire wrapped gemstone jewelry and fine art.  Be sure to check out her shop!

Tell me a little about yourself:


My name is Laura. I am a 27 year old petite brunette and currently reside in Brockport, NY. I recently graduated with my Bachelors' of Science degree in Studio Art form The College at Brockport. My pets include a few Tropical fish and my chocolate Labrador Retriever 10 month old puppy named Chrissy.


I feel the distinct need to create something everyday, whether that's a piece of jewelry or a photograph - it doesn't really matter, the pull is always there.


I initially started my Etsy shop (back in 2010) to sell some of my older fine art paintings and drawings. That all changed this past winter when my obsessive interest in gemstone jewelry (I discovered briolette beads) exploded into many good quality fine jewelry pieces to sell along with my fine art.


How did you get started with your craft?


I was first introduced to oil painting back in 2004 through my second college painting course. I was totally captivated with it and have been primarily an oil painter ever since.


About ten years ago - I bought some cheap gemstone chip beads and self taught myself how to make a simple pair of earrings. Since then, my fascination with gemstones has grown - and now way more than a hobby!


What are your favorite materials to work with/favorite mediums?


My favorite painting materials are oil paint, linseed oil, palette knife, and my long handle nylon brushes. Colored pencils and oil pastels are high up on the favorite list too (smile).


My favorite fine jewelry materials are gemstone briolette beads (big surprise there) and sterling silver dead soft 26 gauge wire.


What inspires you?


As a painter, the beauty of everyday subjects in nature has always inspired me. Especially organic garden produce (from our vegetable garden), flowers, and landscapes. Tomatoes and cherries are two of my favorite subjects to paint. Currently, I am working on a contemporary still life series.


My fine jewelry creations have always been inspired by gemstones. Now, my inspiration not only comes from the stones themselves - but how they have been cut and shaped into beautiful briolette beads (perfect for wire wrapping - I told you I was obsessed, LOL).


What do you enjoy doing in your off time?


When not painting or creating, I love gardening in our large perennial flower bed. Tending to my tropical and cacti houseplant collection is also a favorite thing to do. Playing with Chrissy (either outside or inside) and browsing on Etsy (I have over 2500 favorite items) are two more things that I enjoy.


What 3 items are your favorite?

My Haunted Ride oil painting is one of my favorite items. It is because I created a 3-D miniature diorama to obtain the scene I painted. Everything depicted on the canvas was actually created or assembled by myself. I then photographed different angles of the diorama and portrayed the one on the canvas.


Haunted Ride

My second favorite item is my orange Chalcedony earrings titled Poppy. This fine jewelry pair is one of my favorites because it represents my results after learning how to wire wrap well with sterling silver wire.

Orange Chalcedony Earrings

My third favorite item is another fine jewelry creation. My OOAK Harvest flower earrings are a favorite because it was a new design for me and I love the quality of the secure wire wrapping and they came out great!

OOAK Harvest Flower Earrings
  
Do you have any advice for other Etsy sellers?

1. Take the best photos that you can.  Good details for fine art and good lighting for fine jewelry.

2. Tags are your friend!  Just break your item down into simple terms that people will most likely search.
3. Create sections in your shop.  Creating specific sections make it easier for potential buyers to easily find all types/styles of what you're selling.

Where can you be found online?

3 comments:

  1. I love getting to know our fellow teammates! Thank you for doing such wonderful interviews. I am a fan of Laura's paintings!

    ReplyDelete
  2. plz submit your coupon at http://etsycouponcode.com to get max exposure and increase sale chances!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...