Sunday, July 24, 2011

This Weeks Interview-BeadfulStrings

I've been so lucky to have so much interest in the interviews I already have a waiting list.  So I couldn't wait to get on to the next interview.  This week I am featuring Erin of BeadfulStrings.  She makes exquisite beaded jewelry.  Be sure to check out her shop!

Tell me a little about yourself:

My name is Erin. I am 42, married with 3 kids and 2 cats. I live in Salt Lake City, Utah where I was born and raised, and even live in the house that I grew up in (my husband and I bought the house when my mother passed away 3 years ago). I am a SAHM that beads every chance she gets.

How did you get started with your craft? 

I first started making jewelry back in 1996. I had taken a trip to Seattle and had fallen in love with a necklace that I just couldn't afford. Being young, I couldn't afford most of the jewelry I wanted, but I was obsessed with jewelry, so I decided to make my own. Quickly I found that beads were an addiction, after realizing I had hundreds of bottles of beads hanging around. So, I started selling at small boutiques and craft shows in order to support my new habit. 

In 2005 I got married, obtained custody of my two young step-daughters and had a son. Away went the beads, packed neatly in several boxes. In 2010 my husband decided it was time for me to start my craft again, and made a work space for me. He built shelves out of my sons crib to hold all of my beads and encouraged me to go back to doing what I love to do. So here I am.

What are your favorite materials to work with?

My favorite materials are the tiny size 15/0 Miyuki beads. Once strung they make a very light, delicate, and soft piece of jewelry. I have people tell me they touch their jewelry all of the time because it feels good. I use Swarovski crystals, Czech glass, and other stones when they catch my eye, but I always come back to the tiny beads.

What inspires you?

The color of the air during colorful sunsets. Flowers in my garden. Rolling summer thunder storms. Music.

What do you enjoy doing in your off time?

In my off time, which there isn't much of, I swim with my kids each night during the summer. When it is colder I love cooking and most of the time you will find me in the kitchen. We also have a lot of Wii parties. We love to play the Wii.

What 3 items are your favorite?


It is hard to pick favorites.  I love this anklet. I haven't seen anyone else making them. I love how they look when worn. It is also an item that I get a lot of compliments on when I wear mine. 



  
This necklace reminds me of a forest fairy. The colors are really beautiful, so much more than the camera can capture. I didn't have high hopes when I was creating this necklace, and even thought about scrapping it at one point. When it was done, I fell in love. Everything seemed to fit so beautifully.

 


This necklace was a first pass at something I had a dream about. I woke up remembering the necklace and that day I had it started. It reminds me of a waterfall ending in pearl droplets. 





Do you have any advice for other online sellers?

I'm still new and learning the ropes. My only advice is to stay positive, and to love what you do. If you don't absolutely love what you are doing it is easy to get bogged down in the negativity that is bound to plague each seller at some point.

Where can we find you on the net?

7 comments:

  1. Great interview and that's good advice erin about staying positive and loving what you do.

    Your jewelry is beautiful

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bonnie, thank you! I love your blog and I appreciate the interview. <3

    Robanne21, Thank you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Do what you love. Never stop sharing it to the world. Thanks for the advice and encouragement! Checking your shop now!

    ♥Dita♥
    EBT

    ReplyDelete
  4. Erin, you jewelry is so pretty and intricate! Congrats for the feature :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great interview! So cool to get to know you better, Erin. You work is so beautiful, so perfect. I love those tiny beads too, I used to use them with needlepoint, but I can't imagine the patience it takes to make your pieces!

    ReplyDelete
  6. And the mess they make when you drop them! I had that not so pleasant experience recently when I dropped about 500 of them onto a tile floor.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...