Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Juicing For Health

Here is my non business post for today.  I recently watched the movie Fat, Sick and Nearly Dead.  It's available on Netflix.  I suggest it to all.  Joe Cross is overweight and suffers from an autoimmune disease.  Phil Staples is morbidly obese and ready to keel over at any moment.  In an effort to regain their health this movie chronicles their all juice diet. No this does not mean orange juice in a carton.  I mean real juicing with fresh fruits and veggies.  I know what you're saying "No freakin way.  I need food!"  Now, now I am not suggesting you DO the all juice diet but I AM suggesting you watch the movie.  While I can neither condone nor dismiss the all juice diet I do think it is a wonderful way to add more fruits and veggies into your diet.  Let's be real here people.  Many of us pretty much live on processed food and not to mention a very sedentary lifestyle.  Western medicine is more about putting money in Big Pharma's pockets then making anyone well.  You don't feel good?  Here take this pill.  Oh it's giving you side effects?  Here take ten more for those.  There is truth to the saying you are what you eat.  

Looking at some of the recipes might make you gag.  Especially for those of you who aren't big on veggies.  But the way they are put together you can hardly taste them.  I am a pretty healthy eater but I always feel as if I could use more veggies.  And I used to juice years ago but somewhere through the years my juicer was lost in the mix.  Being that I battle with autoimmune disease myself I am always looking for more ways to get better.  I ordered a new juicer before I even finished watching the movie.  To cut down on cost I ordered a refurbished model.  It came with a year warranty and I ordered an additional warranty for another year just in case.  It was half of what a new one would be.  That's what credit cards are for right?  Hey this is for my health!  




Since my disease is rather advanced I cannot do the all juice diet, but I have added in two doses of juicey goodness into my day.  I haven't gotten too crazy with the recipes as I am limited due to not being able to have too much sugar.  This one is my favorite but I only use one apple.

Green Juice
6 leaves Kale
2 cups Spinach
1/2 Cucumber
4 stalks Celery
2 Apples
1” Ginger root
Calories: 180
Protein: 12 g
Fiber: 1 g



4 comments:

  1. I have been wanting a juicer forever! This sounds delicious!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maureen I went with a refurbished Breville. I am quite happy with it. I do have to say it's a lot of work. Between the preparation and then all the clean up for one glass of juice it's a lot. But I feel good about it so it's not as much of a chore. I break down and clean the juicer while I am drinking my juice so I almost don't notice I'm doing it. In the above recipe the ginger and the apple really drown out the taste of the green veggies.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, this looks amazing. And I'm a netflix documentary fanatic so I'll have to look it up - hope I can get it in Canada! I have a ton of food intolerances/allergies so I'm limited too (& an intolerance to sugar! LOL!) so I already eat pretty raw, but this juice looks awesome! And I love the idea of having something to give my kiddo in his sippy for a different lunch too (he loves anything puree, still, the little nut!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Shaylen definitely check it out. A friend recently ordered The Juicing Bible for me which should be here any day now. For now I am using Juicing For Life. It's very helpful as you can look up by health concern the best juices for you. There are a lot of great food documentaries on Netflix. I have a lot of food intolerances too. I really liked the Beautiful Truth as well which follows the Gerson diet. Some great info there. I've had two family members kick cancer with Gerson.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...