Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Interview With Lovinghandscrochet

Today I am going to be starting an interview portion on my blog.  I have come across so many wonderful Etsy sellers that I want to share with my readers.  This week I am featuring the lovely Alaina of Lovinghandscrochet.  Be sure to check out her shop!

Tell me a little about yourself:

My name is Alaina. I'm 33 years old. I live in Alamosa, Colorado. I'm a homeschooling mom to 5 (4 girls, 1 boy) that range in age from 6 to 13. I have 2 cats who are just about all the entertainment we need some days. I'm a religious person, but don't feel it's my right to force my beliefs on others (sharing is one thing, forcing is another). I majored in flute performance in college, but don't get to play much anymore with 5 kids to care for and teach. I'm a Certified Infant Massage Instructor and would like to train in midwifery one day when my children are grown. I LOVE music (classical mostly) and have discovered an enjoyment for ballet with watching my 4 girls dance.

How did you get started with your craft? 

My mom taught me to crochet and knit when I was 11. Knitting was too slow for me and I hated how the edges rolled, so I gave it up for crocheting. I made a few things back then but didn't pick up a hook again until I was 19. I made 3 or 4 things a year until a few years ago when I felt I needed to stick to things I could put aside at a moment's notice when my children needed me. Selling my things on Etsy has taken away the guilt of buying yarn, which is SO nice.

What are your favorite materials to work with?

I love working with yarn. Threads are harder for me to hold, but they make some wonderful things so I use them occasionally. My favorite things to make are afghans. There's so much I can do with them and the longer projects are more fulfilling. I mostly work with acrylics. Mostly because that's what my mom works with, but also because they're inexpensive and just about the only thing I can get in this rural area. I'm almost glad I don't have more choices because I'd go a little crazy with yarn buying and I don't have the space.

What inspires you?

I don't really have one thing that inspires me. Nature, things I see in daily life, my kids. Just about anything I see, I can pull some sort of inspiration from.

What do you enjoy doing in your off time?

Crocheting IS my off time. Actually, I like to do a lot of things but I limit myself while my kids are young and need me. I love to read, romances mostly (which is funny because I'm not a romantic in the slightest). When my kids are grown, I'd like to use my Infant Massage training more, take ballet classes, play my flute more, help others more, travel, and learn to make soaps and lotions and things.

What 3 items are your favorite?

I like this one because it's blue (blue is my favorite color) and thick. I love how the yarn combinations came together. It reminds me of stars at night, or of ocean waves at night. It's so soothing for me to look at. 



  
I love little girl clothes and frilly dresses are my favorites. I loved figuring out how to make the frills and texture. I had planned on just doing the dress, but once that was done, I just had to do the whole outfit. So cute!

 


Several years ago when my oldest two were toddlers, my mom bought them little felt hats. One of them was a lady bug. That was the inspiration for this hat, but I didn't want it to look the same. I honestly had no idea how cute this one was going to be. I had a vague idea how to do it and slowly worked out the details as I finished each part. After I figured out and added the antennae, I looked at it was seriously cuted out. Finishing the rest of it was super fun trying to get it even cuter. I wish I could have had wiggle eyes on it instead of french knots since that would be even cuter, but it wouldn't have been machine washable so I sadly made the switch.

 


Do you have any advice for other online sellers?

The best suggestion I can give for sellers is to learn great photography. My photos used to be terrible. As my photos improved, my views and sales improved. I can't emphasize enough how important to online selling it is. People will pay more for an item with good photos than they will for the same item with bad photos. I know it may not be fun and may be confusing, but it is worth it to stick with it.

Where can we find you on the net?

my twitter is lovingcrochet
fb: www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/lovinghandscrochet
I'm on Ravelry under lovinghandcrochet
Zibbet: www.zibbet.com/lovinghandscrochet
Etsy: www.etsy.com/shop/lovinghandscrochet?ref=si_shop

3 comments:

  1. What a wonderful interview! That little ladybug is just too cute!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brilliantly done! I loved reading this so much...keep the interviews coming!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. i agree with crochetgal. great interview:)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...