Monday, February 6, 2012

Home Sick and The Desert

The desert is a blistering inferno of intolerable hell. A flat, parched, brown land where little survives. This is where I live. But it's a dry heat you say.  Yes, sticking your head in an oven is also a dry heat.   Many people love the desert but it is not in my blood.  Longing for the water, green grass, trees, flowers and fresh air. In my mind I can smell the sea air, feel the dewy green grass on my feet, and hear the rustling of the leaves in the trees. I find solace in my garden plants here as they lift my spirit and remind me of home.  The desert does have a beauty all it's own that you should be lucky enough to experience just once.  Just make sure it's not in the summer shall you risk bursting into flames.  These are my back yard babies.  They are very photogenic:


Aeonium



Arizona Blanket Flower



Aeonium



Chamaelobivia "Rose Quartz"




Crassula Tetragona "Baby Pine Tree"



4 comments:

  1. I love your pictures, and also your description sounds like poetry, very nice!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Megan! Unfortunately none of my little ones survived this past summer. Even very established plants were lost as the summer temps soared for a very long time. But I have these photos to look back on them fondly.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...